Wednesday, January 28, 2015

How assessment is like trying to cut a square of fabric without using a ruler

Right after I wrote up my class objectives in the previous blog post, I realized that they are probably not easily measured. As I was preparing the materials for class, I wondered how I would conduct an effective assessment of whether or not the activities were a success. My first thought was to assess my orientation activities and see how I should change my objectives to be more testable. And it reminded me of the time I was trying to cut a square of fabric without using a ruler. I can't remember why I didn't just get a ruler but I do remember the outcome: failure. I just kept making a diamond, no matter how hard I tried. I need a ruler for my class objectives so that I can actually cut a square once rather than cutting slightly smaller diamonds for hours. So I went back to the drawing board. What is a learning objective, anyway? Using my trusty old Farmer, I went back to the idea of objectives as resulting in changed behavior. I also went back to basics regarding assessment. When I thought of 'assessment,' I realize that I had been actually thinking 'summative assessment,' which is actually a bit reductive. I have many assessment options before me. I could do a pre-test to determine where my learners are prior to instruction and a post-test to determine where they are when they leave the classroom. I could do a formative assessment during class in order to determine how they are developing. And dozens more. I remembered something that struck me during Immersion earlier this month: the concept of assessment as revealing a picture of learning, which can change based on how assessment is used. I could assess myself as an instructor by including how many instruction sessions I lead in a semester. Or I could draw up strategically important objectives and assess to see how I am meeting these objectives, if at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment